Early this spring, before spring practice had begun, we wrote the following.
I'm not sure why Florida State is getting publicity as a potential top 25 team in the press. Yes, they were 9-4 last year. They return a talented but inconsistent quarterback, and five starters from a great offensive line. From a pure skill position point of view I wouldn't put FSU over Clemson, Wake Forest and Boston College. The popular opinion is that Florida State has great players waiting in the wings, but do they? What have we seen of Florida State over the last four years to suggest they do? I'm not saying
Just for the record, here's a list of the players the Seminoles lost last year
* Two defensive ends, including Everrette Brown, The ACC sack leader.
* Two linebackers including Derek Nicholson the teams leading tackler
* Two 2nd team All-ACC Defensive backs.
* Anyone who caught a significant number of passes last year.
* The highest scoring non-kicker in the ACC.
* One of college footballs best place kickers, who was also the punter.
...And we're just supposed to believe that FSU can replace all those players?
In all honesty, Ponder is a talented, but inconsistent player to this point in his career, and the Seminoles will have some talented but inexperienced wide receivers and running backs. Still, it looks like they have to load a lot of bullets to fill the empty chambers they have on this team.
Actual, meaningful content to follow